Bible Verse Display
I wrote the Bible Verse Display plugin for WordPress because I wanted to put a verse on my own website, but wasn’t satisfied with what I found with other plugins, especially with regards to having to manually type in one’s favorite verses.
I would welcome any comments on this plugin. If you have suggestions about how I wrote the plugin, or experience problems with it, or if you would like something added to it, please let me know!
Bible Verse Display allows you to add a bible verse as a widget, in a post, or on a page. The verse can be Biblegateway’s Verse of the Day, or one randomly chosen from your nominated favorite verses. Multiple versions/languages are available. When nominating your favorites, verse lookups are automatically done so no typing of verses is necessary.
- to nominate your favorite verses, simply enter in the verse reference. Bible Verse Display will look up the verse for you. No manual typing in of the verse is necessary!
- you can select from several different bible versions
- you can have it display a verse randomly from your favorites, or display Biblegateway’s Verse of the Day
- Verses can be displayed in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, or Romanian.
- Bible Verse Display Widget included
How to Use
Once the plugin is installed and activated, you will see a link to Bible Verse Display under ‘Settings’ in the WordPress back end. Here you can add and remove your favorite verses as well as set the default Bible version and whether you want Biblegateway’s Verse of the Day or your own verses to be displayed by default (the settings here apply when you use the shortcode with no parameters).
- To use the widget:
- Go to the widgets page and drag the Bible Verse Display widget to the location you want
- Set the options as you want
- To use the shortcode:
- In your post or page enter in [bible-verse-display]
- available parameters:
version (niv, asv, esv, kjv, nkjv, nasv) or the version id from BibleGateway
type (fav, bg)
showversion (1 or 0)
e.g. [bible-verse-display version=”esv”, type=”fav”, showversion=”1″, class=”myclass”]
- To use the shortcode in your template:
- In your index.php (or whetever template page you are altering) where you want the verse to appear, put in <?php echo do_shortcode(“[bible-verse-display]”); ?>
- Parameters above also apply
I wrote this plugin on WordPress 2.9.2 and have tested it through 3.1.
Install the plugin automatically from WordPress (go to Plugins -> Add New) OR
- Unzip the plugin files to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/bible-verse-display/’ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Set your preferred settings through the Bible Verse Display section under WordPress’ Settings menu
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I style the verses?
- The verses are contained in a div tag whether you use the widget or the shortcode. The div class for the widget is called bvdwidget. For the shortcode, if you do not specify a class in the parameters, the class is called bvdshortcode; otherwise, it is whatever you specified. Simply add the class to your theme’s css file and style it as you desire.
See Screenshot 1
Version 1.6 Right-click and choose Save as or Save link as
Version 1.0 — April 1 2010
Version 1.1 — April 1 2010
- Fixed bug with regards to the NASV and Favorite verses
- Fixed bug with regards to different versions of biblegateway’s Verse of the Day
- Added class parameter to shortcode
- Added The Message as a Bible version
Version 1.2 — October 29 2010
- Added a lot more Bible versions (including non-English ones) and changed a bunch of the underlying code to accomodate them
- Added option to tack today’s date onto the end of the widget title (choice of a few date formats)
Version 1.3 — February 25 2011
- Added the ability to show or hide the version acronym
- Added the ability to use either fopen or CURL
Version 1.4 — March 12 2011
- Added the ability to use either fopen or CURL for Biblegateway VOTD too. Oops
Version 1.5 — July 17, 2011
- Updated verse parser to accommodate biblegateway.com’s changed HTML in their verse display
Version 1.6 — September 21, 2012
- Updated verse parser to accommodate biblegateway.com’s change to their method of displaying verses